Search for an anime e.g "Evangelion"

Thursday 7 August 2014

REVIEW - Sakura Trick (2014)

So guys, I think I finally found it. Something that rivals Sword Art Online as the absolute worst anime I have ever seen (although it doesn't beat it, I'll get to that at the end). There's no point in even waning in this paragraph because I'm just putting it off aren't I?

Sakura Trick by Studio DEEN.


Now, the plot to Sakura Trick is kinda tricky (FUCK OFF THAT WASN'T A PUN) to discuss because of each episode being it's own self-contained plot or rather, each HALF of an episode being it's own self-contained plot. You see, this show doesn't follow the general construct of an anime story and rather follows the Cowboy Bebop approach and doubles that. Each episode has 2 (with one episode having 3) 12 minute segments with their own plot. Anyways, onto the actual plot description.

OH BOY.

So our main character Haruka is about to begin her first year in High School alongside her childhood friend Yuu. Now that's fine and dandy and all but here's the catch; they will be the final class to ever complete a full course at their school, as it's set to be demolished after they graduate. So after their opening ceremony, Haruka and Yuu get bored and go to empty classroom (because this is Japan - you're ALLOWED to do that apparently) and decide to do something that will "remember his place once it's gone". And so, like any normal Japanese schoolgirls, they kiss. Now I wouldn't mind this and in fact the best thing about this show is that it embraces lesbianisim, however, I think they embrace it a bit too much. See having a relationship with the same sex -fine. However, doing stupid shit like falling on her intentionally every two seconds to kiss her in every.damn.episode. kinda spoils the exclusivity of the relationship. I wouldn't have a problem with this but there are two lesbian couples in this show, and even a lesbian love triangle! Other than the lesbian-ness of it all, it's just mainly the characters fucking about and doing shit like Shopping for that one scarf Yuu wanted or Complaining about Haruka's bra size being a C when it's actually a D...I will say that some episodes are at best decent and watchable because of their moments but then other times it draaaaggggsssss about something I don't care about.

Now onto the characters of Sakura Trick and oh boy do I have some words to say about how forgettable and boring these cast members were. Out of the entire cast, my favourite person was Yuu's older sister, who I can't even remember the name of. Now this may have something to do with my liking of anime girls who're tall and have glasses (See; Makise Kurisu who doesn't always wear glasses but sometimes does). Nobody else in this cast stuck out to me apart from Haruka because her hair colour is one of the only ones that isn't a shade of either light blonde or ashburn brown. Seriously, they're that bad. In fact, I'd say that the cast as a whole rivals that of the cast of School Days and Sword Art Online as being one of the worst casts in an anime EVER.

Now personally while I think that pretty much everything else in this show is complete garbage, the show has one standout quality that is actually the best in it's class. The animation in Sakura Trick stands as some of the best animation I have seen in any show to date. Seriously, this shit looks gorgeous and I cannot find a single fault in how beautiful the backgrounds are, how well characters move or how detailed some scenes can be. It's actually perfect in this regard.

Wait...this show had a SOUNDTRACK?

Literally forgettable. Even Sword Art Online managed to get this one down to a T. Apart from the opening (The hilariously badly named Won*Chu Kiss Me) I couldn't remember one thing from this OST. Moving on.

Overall, this is a mess, an actual beautiful mess. Despite it having possibly the best animation in any ever, Sakura Trick stumbles at being an anime to show that it's okay for girls to like girls. Bad plot, forgettable cast, great animation and horrific sound, Sakura Trick is one of the worst anime I have ever seen and it's message is poorly delivered. Now if you'll excuse me I have a hole to hide in to prepare from the hate off of the Yuri fans.



Story: 3
Characters: 1
Animation: 10
Sound: 1
Personal Enjoyment: 2

FINAL SCORE FOR SAKURA TRICK: 3.4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment