Search for an anime e.g "Evangelion"

Sunday 22 December 2013

REVIEW - Yandere: I Love You, So I'm Going to Kill You (2007)

Just a little heads up: This will be my last review until after Christmas, since y'know Christmas is the time for being with your family and whatnot. So, as a little treat, I'm going to re-review a game that I reviewed on my YouTube channel. A game so Goddamn terrifyingly weird that should you ever play it your sanity would be gone within your first of many, many possible playthroughs. You guy's all know the game I'm talking about, don't you?

Nekumaradow's Yandere: I Love You, So I'm Going to Kill You.



With a title such as that, you wouldn't know what to expect. I didn't. I found out about this game by a sheer accident after messing about with another Yandere Visual Novel, and also I recently finished watching Mirai Nikki which has one of the most famous Yandere's in it. So Ladies and Gentlemen, without further ado...welcome to the world, of Yandere.

Yandere is rumoured to take place in 2005 in an unnamed Japanese city (speculated to be Kyoto due to the female school uniform). One evening, we see our main protagonist, Oda Subaru (who by the way looks a lot like Yazuru from Angel Beats! but Yandere came first so I dunno) having a strange conversation with his next door neighbour and life long (annoying) friend Saki Miyauchi, who - as we'll see later - has a real problem trying to think about anything. We can actually sort of see this in this first scene, as Subaru - out of boredom - asks Saki to have sex with him.

My My, aren't we very forward?

So Saki blindly agrees and the two have sex and everything's all fine until Saki utters the words: "With this, now you're finally mine...". Subaru kinda just shrugs this off (as he does with a lot of things) and proceeds to ask himself who he's gonna have sex with tomorrow.

Saki is still in the room mind you. She hears this.

While she doesn't do anything, we see the very first creepy image of the game (well, if you discount the sex earlier). Saki's Yandere sprite is truly fucking creepy as shit. Her eye's lose their detail and become this two-toned void of horror. *shudders* Anyways, the next day while Saki and Suba-dude head to school, they see Maika Saito, a sheltered young girl who has always been bullied throughout her life. She's a year younger than Scuba-ru and Saki and is an aspiring cook. The three head to school together (much against Saki's will mind you) and we meet our third and FINAL female character in the form of Yuumi Kikushitea, Subaru and Saki's Japanese teacher who is definetely over sexulaized.. From here, your decisions impact the story and ending you get since Yandere is a Visual Novel. I'll give the plot some points for having multiple paths and a large replay factor, but the plot really kinda well....sucks. By that I mean the characters all suck except for Saki and maybe Maika. Subaru is literally the world's biggest dumbass, who can sleep through a Chainsaw ripping open his front door while he's only 7-8ft away from it. He shrugs every dangerous situation off (like locking the front door at night) and just doesn't think at all. Yuumi is there just for the sake of having someone there to fulfill the busty brunette teacher fetish, and there's not a lot more I can say about her without ruining her story. It's really a fucking mess at times, but I will admit it is VERY VERY Scary at times. Oh and gory. Very Gory.


Gameplay in Yandere consists of one thing and one thing only: trying not to fuck up when you make a choice. Choosing the wrong choices can lead to some really fucked up paths, ranging from this lovely scene that I had to censor:

"EWWWW SEMEN AND HER BUTT" Grow a pair of balls and act mature.
To this scene which I will never ever not vomit at and I would hate to put this on my blog but god damn it I have to show you the horrors:


(Note: Dillon Sheil doesn't find gore entertaining, despite his love for Higurashi)

God fucking damn it don't fuck up. Just don't fuck up or else you'll regret it for a very long time.

I. MEAN. THAT.

Anyways, I love games where your decisions impact the story (Heavy Rain immediately comes to mind) so Yandere's gameplay is good for what it is since there are a lot of paths and a nifty blackjack mini game which is hard as balls but fulfilling when you win.

Om Nom salty intest- WAIT WHAT
Graphically, as Visual Novels go Yandere is decent enoug. Character sprites - especially the Yandere ones - are very well drawn and the backgrounds are okay to say the least. Some CG's though aren't impressive and make some people look very oddly shaped.

Sound-wise, it's limited but again very good. The songs are catchy as hell and the opening and many many ending themes really got stuck in my head. Credit where credit is due, the soundtrack to Yandere is catchy as fuck bu limited as hell.

Overall, Yandere is a mixed bag. It's shit plot and somewhat inconsistent graphics marr what could be a very good game potentially. The horror element is definitely there though and a lot of the time you're on the edge of your seat wondering what's going to happen next. It's scary, very catchy and most of all gives you an insight to why you should never date obsessive women.


Story: 5
Gameplay: 7.5
Graphics: 7.5
Sound: 8.5
Personal Enjoyment: (God Help me) 10

FINAL SCORE FOR YANDERE: I LOVE YOU SO I'M GOING TO KILL YOU: 7.7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment